You’re in the middle of the most bitter week of winter and you wake up shaking in a pile of blankets in bed. Your first thought is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to leave yourself in a situation like this where it feels like you’re predestined to suffer until morning to arrange furnace repair, but there are a couple things you can check, as well as a few things you can do, to stay ahead of the game and have a plan for a situation like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Frigid nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you have a better chance at averting a chilly morning.
- Compile supplies. Set aside some room in a closet, drawer or another handy area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you toasty while your furnace isn’t working. It might seem annoying or unnecessary now, but it will come in handy when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Working:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace may have been tripped by a power surge or for another reason. If this occurs, turn the breaker back on and you could be set. If the breaker is tripped and you have flipped it back on but your furnace still isn’t operating, give us a call to set up an appointment for furnace repair.
- Layer on and get cozy. That list of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you keep your body heat so you can stay cozy while waiting for your pro. Also, try to find something to do to keep your blood pumping, as elevated activity can help keep you comfortable.
- Stay safe. Employing something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose some danger depending on the method you’re going with. It’s important to remember to never utilize heating methods designed for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use a secondary method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your best bets.
No one wants to put up with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has quit running, but the probability is real if you don’t take the proper steps. Give the experts at Airmax Long Island Inc a call at 631-737-5566 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services provided or any other number of heating questions.