Whether you like winter or favor the warmer months in Long Island, a lot of us make adjustments to make sure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a huge impact on your monthly bills, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Check weather stripping – Over time, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to pinpoint any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your house warm. Keep them open during the day when the sun is out, and make sure to close them at night, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it should be changed. We suggest at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Install a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a handy way to make sure your home remains warm, but programmable thermostats can also save money on your heating bill! You can fix temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have a sufficient amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a powerful tool to decrease the chances of heat escaping.
- Book routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs to have checkups, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will verify that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also detect small issues that could end up as more pricey repairs if neglected.
- Assess your HVAC system – If your utility bills are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to look for a replacement heating system. The team at Airmax Long Island Inc can help you review the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the selection of newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps reduce the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also supports the health of your equipment, which means your heating system will have a longer life.
If you are considering routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide more tips on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Airmax Long Island Inc in Long Island a call to get started. You can reach us at 631-737-5566 or book an appointment with us online.