Summer weather in Long Island can be a bear. But you don’t have to make a choice between being comfortably cool and saving money on your utility expenses. We’ve put together some tips to make it easy.
The greatest thing you can do to stay comfy and sustain energy efficiency is by tending to your air conditioner. ENERGY STAR® recommends keeping your system running dependably and efficiently, and Airmax Long Island Inc is able to help. During an AC tune-up appointment, we’ll do the following tasks recommended by ENERGY STAR and more:
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors to be sure there’s safe operation of your system and the possibility of a longer life for major components.
- Clean the air conditioner’s evaporator and condenser coils as required. Dirty coils require your system to work more often to do its job.
- Check system controls to make sure of correct and safe operation.
- Check refrigerant levels.
- Clean and adjust blower components to assure correct system airflow.
Another crucial piece to remaining cool is routinely looking at your air conditioner’s air filter. A dirty filter can boost energy bills and damage your equipment, leading to premature failure. Our Airmax Long Island Inc pros will look at these for you at your tune-up appointment, but you’ll want to check the manufacturer’s recommendations to arrange your own schedule to swap them out.
Here are a few other tips to keep your home comfortable and energy-efficient:
- Look at thermostat settings to be sure your air conditioner keeps you comfy when you are home and saves energy while you are gone.
- If it’s cool at night, you can turn off your air conditioner and open your windows. Let the crisp air cool your house for you! In the morning, shut your windows and window coverings to hold on to the cool air and block the sun’s heat.
- Take advantage of fans. An ENERGY-STAR ceiling fan will allow you to set your thermostat a bit higher than you normally would without feeling any changes in your comfort level.
- Another kind of fan people routinely forget about when they’re attempting to keep cool is their bathroom ventilation fan. Be sure to run yours when you shower as well as 20 minutes or longer after you’re done to remove the heat and humidity from your house.
- Try not to leave lights on and running many appliances on the hottest days. Obviously, your stovetop and oven put heat into your home, but even routine activities like watching TV, working on the computer, and drying or curling your hair can boost the heat in your home.
If you’d like additional ideas on how to keep your home cool and energy efficient this summer, give Airmax Long Island Inc at call at 631-737-5566 or request an appointment with us online.