Typically, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Contingent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, if you have pets, and how regularly your air filter has been replaced, to name a handful—you may adjust your air duct cleaning
more or less frequently. So, how can you tell for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are definitely some revealing signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a jam inside your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers wafting out dust?
- When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents found shelter in your ductwork?
- Can you hear sound other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have a smaller amount of airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s most likely time to ask Airmax Long Island Inc in Suffolk/Nassau County about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a few things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and prolong the period of time between expert cleanings.
Above all, setup routine HVAC maintenance with the specialists at Airmax Long Island Inc. A tune-up of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should comprise of inspection, and prospective replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system running effectively, and should help keep your ducts clean.
You can also chat with the team at Airmax Long Island Inc about installing an air purification system. We offer the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other actions you can take include:
- Regularly dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Examining your air filters habitually and exchanging them when the manufacturer recommends replacing them. Most filters will display dust on them after a short time in service, but they may not demand changing.
- Sealing seepages in air ducts that let dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Replacing poor or broken air-duct insulation.
With a specialized air duct cleaning and some proactive measures, you can help keep the air in your Suffolk/Nassau County home clean and healthy. Give the pros at Airmax Long Island Inc a call at 631-737-5566.